Head Teacher Concerns
We asked a consortium of school Head teachers - ‘Do you currently have any concerns regarding any aspect of your Health and Safety Arrangements at your school’?
All the schools in the consortium shared the same views – a resounding 100% have the same concerns regarding the management of Health and Safety within their school.
|Top Ten||Health & Safety Concerns|
|1||Compliance with Legislation|
|2||Accidents & Investigations|
|3||Availability of resources – human, material, money, budget|
|4||Physical Environment in own school|
|5||Access to professional support|
|6||Support from employer|
|7||Constraints on time to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974|
|8||Do not understand their responsibilities, their employers and employees|
|9||Not sure what an ‘Absolute duty’ is|
|10||Not sure what is ‘reasonably practicable’|
The main reasons Head teachers seek our assistance:
- To provide the necessary “my school specific” Health and Safety documentation, risk assessments, policies and procedures
- Looking for the most cost effective method to achieve a full and concise Health and Safety management system specific to their own school
- Concerned regarding the potential of prosecution or compensation claims
- Where are we now? Can you tell me?
How compliant or non-compliant are we at this time?
What are the hazards & risks associated with my school?
How safe is our school for staff and pupils?
Where do we go from here?
- Accessibility to assistance – value for money/ best value. Ease of access to specialist Health and Safety professionals
- Require support, hands-on help to do what is required (instead of just being told they need to do it!)
- To be up to date with changes in Health and Safety legislation and how it may affects their school
- Schools do not employ ‘competent’ persons not do they have the required resources skills or ‘know how’ to achieve what is required